Montessori Ways
Today is the last day of Abby's first week of orientation as an Oak -- her new class at Rochester Montessori School. Her class has 26 students aged three to six. Her guide (Montessori code language for teacher) is Nikki and the two assistants in the class are Clarisse and Sara -- Abby calls her "New Sara" because her first guide in her Pinecones toddler class was named Sara as well.
Abby was initially anxious about becoming an Oak. She'd tell me, "I don't want to be an Oak Mommy. I don't want to grow up." But she's been so brave this week and really seems to enjoy her class. This morning when we were driving to school I told her that we were flying to DC this afternoon. She asked if she could go back to Oaks when we got home to Rochester!
When Abby was a Pinecone, I parked the car and walked her to her classroom. But now that she has grown up and is an Oak, I pull up to the front of the school and a Montessori staff member helps Abby out of the car. Many of the younger children are still crying at this new procedure, but Abby bravely gets out of the car and tells me she loves me and with a determined look walks to the door!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comment